Lazy Days of Break

 Today is my very last day of break. Roy and I are going to do it up right and make a "day" of it - shopping in Fort Worth, dining out at a restaurant we don't normally visit, and painting the town red.

Okay - maybe we're not really painting the town red...but you know what I mean.

Of course, thrown in the midst of our playing will be a hefty dose of regular: I haven't done any laundry since before our Portland trip so there's that. Also I intend to clean the house which will include mopping the floors (which I only do monthly so it's quite a chore when Mopping Day rolls around). I will spare you the rest of my "chores" list as it's all just about as mundane as mopping, but suffice it to say, today will be busy.

Good! - but busy.

Time off always reminds me that I love my job. Now don't get me wrong - I'm already counting the days until my next mini-break (which will be in just over a week when Darian flies in for an overnight visit and I'm taking the day off to spend with her). But I genuinely appreciate a schedule, a list of things that must be accomplished before I head to my rocking chair for the evening (because I'm really 90 in my heart). I love wrestling with curriculum, mulling over assignments for how to make them more engaging, and insightful conversations with co-workers. And, of course, I love my kids. They make me laugh and keep me on my toes and exasperate me - all at once. But I wouldn't be anywhere else, no other job would suffice. These kids - they're mine and I am so grateful that I get to do what I do.


Roy is one of those people who can entertain himself for hours - building and creating and fixing and learning. His job, though he enjoys it, is an interruption in his day. I am the opposite. My job is my passion - I could "work" every waking hour  at it if I chose. I don't - in fact, I have worked diligently to make my job a manageable 45-50 hours a week, which is quite an accomplishment, if I say so myself. :)But I have often wondered how I will fare when I finally retire. What will I do with all of those hours?

I am sure I will figure it out...but I'm certainly not in a hurry to get there. Not yet anyway.

Comments

  1. How cute is she?! I'm so excited for our little day and I'm so glad you love your job so much. I found myself looking through my phone tonight at pictures of my kids because I miss them...Clearly I have your blood.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Every Day

Filling in the Blank