Digging Deep

 I am digging deep.

As of today, I have 23 days left with my kids.

And counting.

Let me say, I have the best kids this year. They are kids for sure. They like their cell phones, earbuds grow from their ears, and some girls can be rather snarky. But my issues have been typical issues that one expects when teaching high school students. Last year I struggled with rampant disrespect, excessive talking despite my pleas, and behavior that left me shaking my head helplessly.

None of that this year, thankfully. I've often wondered if it's me or if my kids are just nicer this time around. Probably a little of both. I learned a lot last year about managing 28-30 teens in a classroom. Pretty sure I learned far more than them.

So suffice it to say, it's been a good year. 

But things are beginning to unravel now. I am finding myself exhausted at the end of the day - sitting down in my desk chair and staring off into the distance. My motivation has vanished and I no longer have a list that I am creating on Monday that needs to be accomplished by Friday. I have to tell myself Smile, Vonda - put a pleasant look on your face! several times in a class period.

23 days sounds eternal.

No - really. It does.

I was talking to Darian a few days ago and she was lamenting that she just doesn't know if she will make it. Now let me say, Darian absolutely loves her kids - but she's feeling it too.

I think everyone does.

I sent a text to Sarah yesterday, the department chair from Grandview where I will be teaching next fall, and asked her if they are all experiencing the end-of-the-year blahs. "Oh yes!" she quickly replied.

Everyone is digging deep everywhere.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Day

Lazy Days of Break

Beautiful Boy