The Horizon

 So I have taken a new job. I'm headed to Grandview High School in the fall, home of the zebras, boasting a total enrollment of 430 students. Currently, my school has 450 sophomores. I would love to say this was an easy decision but it definitely wasn't. I applied back in January and hoped I never heard a word and the problem was solved.

But in early April, the principal - Kirby - gave me a call as Darian and I were driving around Keene and I was showing her the changes happening our little community, and asked me to come in for an interview. All thoughts of I will just decline the interview if I ever get one flew right out the window as we chatted amicably and I agreed to come in the following Monday, 1:30. 

As I drove over that Monday, I silently prayed that I would know in my heart what to do - the kind of knowing that cannot be denied, as sure as one is that the sky is blue, that the sun will come up in the morning. As I walked into the attendance office, I glanced up at the clock to make sure I was just enough early to be on time but not so early as to be overly eager. The secretary, noticing my upward glance, said, "Oh, pay no mind to that clock. It hasn't worked since before Covid!" And sure enough. It boasted 9:37 - and clearly I wasn't that early. I quickly noted the casual tone in the office, how students came and went, adults asking them about their day, about their siblings or parents. Obviously everyone knew everyone here.

Only three were in the interview - Kirby, the VP (Tim Jackson), and me. I was the most dressed up of anybody in that office in my black slacks and blazer. Everyone had the chill vibe and, since the atmosphere was one of open conversation, I quickly relaxed and answered their questions easily and honestly. Nothing to lose here - just trying to figure out what's best for me, best for you.

The differences between GVHS and CHS are stark: Cleburne High boasts a brand new shiny building, lights pristine and white, hallways crisp, and all of the technological advances one could dream of. Each teacher has a smart board, every student has a Chromebook (though we won't talk about the fact how many don't bring them, or they break them, or they don't charge them so they are dead), and the desks are modular - quickly moving into pods or pairs or whatever one would like. People walk with purpose at CHS - somewhere to be, kids to wrangle, fights to break up.

GVHS is a whole other color. It's honestly like comparing apples and trees they are so strangely different. Grandview High is an old building with worn carpet and clocks that don't work. The desks are old style and teachers use projectors. But there are windows in every classroom and student work is proudly displayed and curtains flutter. A homey vibe resides on those halls where teachers greet students with a friendly banter and an air of familiarity. 

But I think the biggest difference that Grandview has - the difference that, really, made all the difference - is that Grandview, despite its easy vibe, has standards. Cell phones are not allowed in the classroom. Rather, students zip them up in their backpacks that are piled in the back of the room. All students must complete all work and if they don't, they complete it in after-school detention. Teachers are not required to accept late work and are given full support when a student is written up. Coaches back up teachers and students are aware that for misbehavior and attitude, consequences reign supreme.

And? Grandview wins. They win everything. They have won first place at the Regional UIL competition for 38 years straight. One of their students is heading to Harvard in the fall, and a past student is in the process of being recruited to be the quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks. Their little school ranks top for its class year after year after year.

After spending quite a bit of time talking to the English department chair that evening, I knew

I will miss PLC - our little sophomore English committee that plans everything together. I will miss my friends - Sarah and Angela and Erin and Sabrina. So many wonderful people whom I love at CHS. But I am looking forward to small town and all of the perks that small town brings to the mix. I am excited to know everyone in the school, to know their parents, teach their siblings in years to come, cheer at football games because I know all of the players on the field. I am excited to create my own lesson plans - to bring some creativity into the mix, to do what I want, to try and fail and try again. I am excited that I don't have to chart data because these kids pass the STAAR with an over 90% success rate and teachers hardly even mention the test.

I am excited for many things actually. 

Lots of change just on the horizon and I can hardly wait.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Day

Lazy Days of Break

Filling in the Blank